Sunday, June 23, 2013

Vacation Bible School Part 1

When I was 9 years old I was attending Vacation Bible School in Chester, MS. This was from the large urging of my Mamaw, Catherine Jenkins. Mamaw was going make sure we were in VBS, and she is largely responsible for the man I am today. I'm not here to say that my mamaw was perfect, no one is. But she loved King Jesus, and she wanted her children & grandchildren to know Him.

I can't speak for my cousins, or my brother & sister, but I can only give testimony to the witness I saw lived out in front of me.

My mamaw was the "Snack Lady" at VBS. When I say she was the "Snack Lady" Chester Baptist Church had more than one gracious soul working in the kitchen each year on those hot, humid Mississippi June weeks for VBS. This was way before all the incredible themes, that have been thought up, had been added to the VBS curriculum. I can remember coming in, saying our pledges, and singing songs like America the Beautiful and Onward Christian Soldiers. I can remember the crafts just saying "VBS" or "CBC" for Chester Baptist Church.Looking back some of the simplest things that I can remember being apart of, but no matter how simple Jesus still used them to bring Himself glory. Even..... the "Snack Lady."

I know that my mamaw's job at VBS wasn't one that "taught the Bible classes" or "led opening assembly" but she was happy to serve, and showed Jesus to a lot of little kids, who were probably so absorbed in their own little world that they were too bust to say "thank you" for the cherry/grape kool aid, and the butter cookies (you know the ones you can put on your fingers.)

Just giving out those 4-5 cookies, and an 8oz cup of kool aid was being the hands and feet of Jesus. It's servants like my mamaw that remind me that being "The Church" is a huge part in glorifying Jesus. This example that she lived out in front of me is a major part of why I have missed only 2 Summers of VBS since 1990. On Wednesday of that week of 1990, I was listening to my Pastor, Bro. Rob Faulk, proclaim the Gospel through Matthew 7. Preaching about how narrow is the way to a life with Christ, and how the broad path is like a "6 lane highway", "It looks nice but leads to death." I talked with Bro. Rob later that day, and knew that if I died that day, that I would be separated from God for eternity. I can remember praying to Jesus, and receiving Him as my Savior that Wednesday morning. The greatest thing next to knowing that I has Christ as my Savior was the hug I got from my mamaw. She had been working in the kitchen all morning, and didn't see me raise my hand during the morning prayer. But that didn't mean she wasn't apart of the work Christ was doing at Chester Baptist Church, or in my life that morning.

Why is VBS so important to me? Because I have seen the power of Christ radically change my life & the lives of others during VBS. Not only children, but teenagers and adults as well. It is my prayer that everyone that serves in VBS will be a witness to each person that comes through the doors of the church. Whether its Chester Baptist Church, or your church around the corner.


No comments: